September 19th, 2014
WHAT: Safe Mizzou 2014 is a week of events designed to share information so University of Missouri students, faculty and staff can all live, learn, work and play in a safe environment.
Highlighted events include:
- Green Dot Program: Preventing Sexual Violence in Our Community
A program targeted to students that will help increase sexual assault awareness and prevention through bystander intervention.
12 p.m., Monday, Sept. 15, 2205B MU Student Center
- Personal Safety Fair Featuring the ReadyCampus Program
A Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) initiative for National Preparedness Month (NPM), in support of America’s PrepareAthon! During the event, students will be introduced to this year’s NPM theme, “Be Disaster Aware, Take Action to Prepare!” One action Students will be encouraged to take is setting up social media for ease of use during and after emergencies. FEMA representatives will show participants how to set up their social media accounts during the event.
10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 16, Kuhlman Court (Rain site: 1st floor of the MU Student Center)
- MU’s 14th Annual Fire Factor Room Burn and Pedestrian and Vehicle Education
A simulated room burn will demonstrate the speed and ferocity of fire. The event includes fire extinguisher training, a fire fighter challenge obstacle course in full gear, seat belt safety and crosswalk etiquette.
10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 17, Lowry Mall and Speaker’s Circle. (Simulation burn will occur at 11:50 a.m.)
WHERE: MU campus, see Safe Mizzou 2014 website for details.
WHEN: Monday, Sept. 15 – Friday, Sept. 19
NOTE: For more information and to download the Safe Mizzou 2014 schedule, please visit:
“Safe Mizzou 2014”
Schedule of Events:
Monday, Sept. 15, 2014
Green Dot: Preventing Sexual Violence in our Community
12 p.m., 2205B MU Student Center
- Learn more about Green Dot Mizzou and how to help prevent sexual violence through bystander intervention. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/preventing-sexual-violence-in-our-community/?instance_id.
Citizen’s Response to Active Threat Training
6 p.m., N214/215, Memorial Union
- MUPD will teach attendees how to deal with active shooter/violent intruder incidents that may occur in the workplace, school or other public setting. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/citizens-response-to-active-threat-training/?instance_id.
7:30 p.m., N214/215, Memorial Union
- The 41st annual Safety Walk is an opportunity for students, faculty, and staff to identify any structural and environmental safety concerns on campus. Items identified and the progress to correct those items will be tracked throughout the year on the MSA website.
Tuesday, Sept. 16, 2014
Personal Safety Fair
10 a.m. – 2 p.m., Kuhlman Court (Rain Site: 1st floor of MU Student Center)
- Students will identify how to check on a friend in need, take a drunk friend’s car keys, do a Green Dot intervention, protect themselves online, and develop their own emergency preparedness plan that includes how to efficiently and effectively use social media. The event features FEMA’s ReadyCampus program. Free pizza, T-shirts and first aid kits will be distributed, while supplies last.
7 – 8:30 p.m., Women’s Center, G108 MU Student Center
- The Missouri National Guard will help attendees learn preventative measures to enhance safety and security at home, on a date, on campus or while shopping. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/mizzou-aware/?instance_id.
Wednesday, Sept. 17, 2014
Back 2 School MIZ GYT
9 a.m. – 3 p.m., 2206C MU Student Center
- Confidential sexual health testing will be available. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/back-2-school-miz-gyt/?instance_id.
14th Annual Fire Factor, Room Burn and PAVE
10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m., Lowry Mall and Speaker’s Circle
- Includes fire extinguisher use training, a fire fighter challenge obstacle course in full gear, information on STRIPES, seat belt safety and crosswalk etiquette. At 11:50 a.m., a simulated room burn will demonstrate the speed and ferocity of fire. Free pizza, drinks and T-shirts will be distributed while supplies last. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/14th-annual-fire-factor-room-burn-1150-and-pave/?instance_id.
Friday, Sept. 19, 2014
What is Title IX: Requirements, Reporting and Responsibility
12 p.m., S203 Memorial Union
- This program will provide an opportunity for attendees to learn the basics of Title IX and will offer a question and answer period. Lunch will be provided.
Mizzou on the Quad
8:30 – 11 p.m., Lowry Mall (Rain site, Bengal Lair/Stotler Lounge, Memorial Union)
- The Safe Mizzou Coalition will be distributing flashlights and safety information. http://stufftodo.missouri.edu/ai1ec_event/family-weekend-mizzou-on-the-quad-and-columns-lighting-ceremony/?instance_id.