September 20th, 2013
The University Club at the University of Missouri is hosting “The Art of Food,” the fifth annual culinary event that will host world-class chefs, journalists, authors, and media professionals to discuss culinary arts. Experts will host panels discussing topics including food styling, hot cooking, the art of dining and the media. A class demonstrating the proper way to photograph food will be held.
“The purpose of this event is to discuss the art of food in both the visual and gastronomic senses,” said Daniel Pliska, executive chef at the University Club at MU. “The journalism and media side will focus on how these relate in our society with tips on how to write about and reach a wide range of audiences that appreciate the details and work that true culinary art entails.”
“The Art of Food” is sponsored by the American Culinary Federation – Central Missouri Chapter, Mizzou Advantage and the International Association of Culinary Professionals.
This event is an example of MU’s highly collaborative, interdisciplinary culture in the areas of Food and Media for the Future. Four key areas of collaborative strength that distinguish MU are collectively known as the Mizzou Advantage. The other two areas are Sustainable Energy and One Health/One Medicine.
- Chef Gui Alinat, CEC, Jacobson Culinary Arts Academy
- Chef Ray Duey, vegetable carving expert
- Chef Martin Heuser, chef owner, Affäre Kansas City
- Chef Timothy Bucci, CEC, CCE, CHE, Joliet Junior College
- Angie Mosier, co-author and photographer of Avec Eric by Chef Eric Ripert
- Donna Pierce, contributing editor of Upscale Magazine and founder of www.blackamericacooks.com
- Julia Usher, pastry chef and author of Cookie Swap and Ultimate Cookies
- Ligaya Figueras, senior staff writerat Sauce magazine
- Todd Kliman, The Washingtonian food and wine editor, author of The Wild Vine
- Catherine Neville, publisher and editor, Feast magazine
- Pastry Chef Nathaniel Reid, Ritz-Carlton, St. Louis
- Chef J. Kevin Walker, CMC, AAC, The Vintage Club
WHEN & WHERE:
8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Friday, Sept. 20
University Club, Reynolds Alumni Center
Registration and other information can be found at: